Total Pageviews

Monday, September 26, 2011

Movies from every state day 31- Missouri

Tonight's feature takes us Down Under. No I'm not talking about Australia, we're in the USA remember?
I'm talking about the largest underground lake in the world. It just so happens to be located in a mine at Bonne Terre, Missouri.The lower levels of the mine form a 17 mile illuminated lake. Jacques Cousteau even dove this baby. All of this is located under "The Show Me State". The name is attributed to Rep. Willard Van Diver in 1899 and connotes a certain self deprecating stubbornness and devotion to simple common sense. I might need to move there!
Our movie used the clear water with visibility to 100 feet year round to shoot many of the underwater scenes in "The Abyss". At 2000 ft plus underwater we get to witness the end and rebirth of a marriage,
military "Intelligence", bravery, self sacrifice . I know I held my breath too long a few times. They also toss in a bunch of cool underwater toys with a pinch or two of science.

No comments:

Post a Comment