Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Movies from every state day 17-North Carolina

Where in the heck did they come up with the Tar Heels? Well like the rest of my state blogs, I'm going to tell you whether you want to know or not! There are several versions of the origin of the name, but I really like the one on the States official web-site. They trace the nickname as far back as the Civil War when retreating soldiers left a column of North Carolinians to battle the enemy alone. Later, they met the fleeing troops and told them that for the next battle they were going to put tar on their heels to make them stick. Gen. Lee exclaimed " God bless the Tar Heel Boys". For our viewing pleasure tonight we'll watch a movie where the final scene was shot at Lake James, Burke County, North Carolina. The Hunt for Red October is one of my favorite Sean Connery films, right up there with all his Bond, James Bonds. I love the quote in it "The hard part of playing chicken is knowing when to flinch'. It's amazing what might go on under the surface of our oceans. There's no way I would have made it as a submariner, in a metal tube, under water with no windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment