Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Movies from every state Day 39- Mississippi

Well, I thought our collection had been stumped on "The Magnolia State", but we finally stumbled on one forgotten and misfiled . The official nickname for Mississippi is the Magnolia state because of the flowers and trees. I don't know it just seems unimaginative to me.  Since it's my Blog it's my choice and I'm going for one of the unofficial nicknames. I'm going for the " Mud-Cat State " for the large cat fish that wander in the swamps and rivers.
Matthew McConaughey has really nailed a bunch of great parts and he does again as a struggling southern lawyer in "A Time to Kill". Toss in Samuel L. Jackson, Sandra Bullock, Kevin Spacey, along with Donald and Kiefer Sutherland and you get one hell of a cast. This one is tough to watch at times for a couple of reasons. The topic and the knowledge that there are still people who feel this way. It wasn't just hard to watch, but to write about too. Knowing that there are those that hate this much and not just about black and white or color at all. Some hate for gender, religion, nationality others just hate. The South doesn't and never did hold the monopoly on prejudice.
There will always be one absolute truth, that being, I'll never be able to spell any state faster without thinking about it than.
Mi ss i ss i pp i.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this one. Okay Rog and Karrie. You know me. Is it a happy enough ending?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what the heck are we suppose to say without giving away the ending? How about the ending is easier to watch than the start and well worth the time. I think you were so quick with the comment I hadn't finished editing the thing. We are still struggling with North Dakota and Arkansas, but I think we're looking good for the other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just one thing to say about North Dakota: Fargo
    and two comments on Arkansas: True Grit and Gone With the Wind

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I'd love to see a body shoved into a large chipper, I was thinking of Wooly Boys for ND, but we don't have either of them anyway. As for AR we don't have Gone with the Wind and we've used the original True Grit already. We do have the new one but I believe they only talk about AR not actually film there. Might have to use it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good one to watch. Guess there are racisists where ever I've been. I hate it. Since you I watch my Ps and Qs when kidding around cause some people take my dry sence of humor serious. Since tyou say the ending is easier to watch than the begging I'll check it out. On another page, I went with the "Fire Side" mens group, from church, last night to see a low budget movie named Courageous. It was really good. Please don't tell anyone, but I kinda cried, although there were several spots that broke the whole audience into laughter. OK i'll get back to ya on "A Time to Kill."

    ReplyDelete