Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Movies from every state Day 41- Idaho

I always thought Idaho was the Famous Potato. It's actually the "Gem State" and even better yet it's because the 1863 Congress designated the Idaho Territory thinking it was a Shoshone word meaning Gem of the Mountain ( It's not ). What better movie to celebrate this inept'ness than, I can't believe I'm even saying this,  Napoleon Dynamite. This is not the Dumbest movie I've every watched, but it's really, really close. This movie was entirely filmed in Idaho and the State actually created a "Day". The movie and the town of Preston have cult followings. It's no wonder this show was made for $400,000, although that even seems steep, what is amazing is that within the first year it grossed $45,000,000. I've got to be honest, I just don't know what to say. Napoleon's secret weapon dance moves, Pedro's hair, Uncle Rico and the Bust Must +,
Notable lines like "I caught you a delicious bass", "Do you want to play me", "I see you're drinking 1%. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to", "Well, you have a sweet bike. And you're really good at hooking up with chicks. Plus you're like the only guy at school who has a mustache" There are many more memorable quotes from this blockbuster, but I just don't have it in me to pretend this was worth watching. Since we are only using our own video library to travel the USA, the only other choice we had was to skip Idaho. Too late now!
Damn, Now I can't get JJ, Good Times, 1970s, "Dyno-MITE!" out of my head!!

4 comments:

  1. Roger, be honest, you were sleeping through most if it :=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have been, because it took me two days to figure out something to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I wondered why it took so long. I must say, your review is not tempting me to pick up the video...even though I love the fact that it hold some really nifty quotable moments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess I won't say I liked it, but whoever I watched it with agreed that at times it was so stupid it was funny. Once was enough, fer sure. Your write up was well put together. You seemed to recall all of those "nifty quotes," as Henry's human noted. Maybe the pause button assisted that project. That certainly helped with my recall.

    ReplyDelete